Suggested Tackle List
• Fast actions 9 and 10 wht rods, three or four piece if possible for traveling
• Bring at least one spare rod
• Large arbour direct drive with good drag – Shilton SL 6 is perfect • Reels must be loaded with at least 150 meters of 30 lb backing
• Airflow Depth Finder (300 grain) or Scientific Angler Tropic Express (350 grain), which will match up well with a 9wht rod. This is a running line with 9.1 meter 300 - 350grain (roughly 7 Inches per Second) head. This is the default line and used most often
• Full length Airflow DI 7 (sixth sense or similar tropical DI 7 Line) • Cortland 444 intermediate - tropical
• Cortland 444 floating line - tropical Flies
• Black whistlers in 2/0
• Olive and White whistler 2/0
• Blue and White whistler 2/0
• Steve Farrar Bait Fish Patterns Size 2/0 in Black, black over grey,
olive over grey, blue over white
• Brush flies Size 2/0 and 4/0 in Olive, rainbow, tan, blue and white,
all black, black over grey
• Closures tied on 2/0 hooks in black, red and black, fire tiger, grey
and black, Olive and grey, blue over white
• EP bait fish Size 2/0 – black, black and grey, olive and white, blue
and white, rainbow All flies to be tied on quality hooks – Gamakatsu (SL) or Grip 1/0 to 4/0 NOTE: Gamakatsu B10s (standard fly hook for tiger fish) is too thin and not applicable for this fishery
Leaders and tippet:
• 20 and 30 lb maxima
• 30 and 40 lb fluorocarbon
• 35 – 40 lb Surflon Micron Extreme Knotable Wire (Cammo colour)
• Stripping glove of finger ‘lappie’
• Polarized glasses
• Suitable headwear
• Boga grip
• Fishing pliers
• Additional braided loops (30 or 50 lbs)
Spinning/bait casting rod. 5-6 ft long, medium heavy action (i.e. shakespear ugly stick, Berkley, fennwick etc)Reels matched to above rods (150 yards 40lb pound braid)Spare spool50 pound breaking nylon coated trace wireSingle strand piano wire - #4 and #59 inch steel trace with swivel clips for lures (for quick change of lures). Bring a couple of dozen each. Spare single hooks (2/0 – 5/0) strong and sharp – NO TREBLES WILL BE ALLOWED AND ALL HOOKS ARE FISHED BARBLESS!
• Heavy duty swivel clips and split rings!
• Rapalas: Shallow running shad raps 7-12 cm long in a variety of
colours (blue white, blue white and orange, fire tiger, orange,
perch, and natural colours work well)
• Yuzuri floating crank bait – shallow diving
• Lead head banana jigs (olive and grey, black, blue and white) –
• Spoons (variety copper and silver)
• Plastic minnows and jig head (quality) hooks to match –
bring lots as they don’t last long
For all your tackle requirements, please contact us so that we can assist you in your selection. We can source all tackle at competitive prices.
Fly Packs tied specifically for the Mnyera River are available on request.
All terminal tackle can be bought at camp at normal retail prices. Please notify us if you wish to make use of this service well in advance.